Even though the COVID-19 pandemic has loosened its deathly grip around the globe, there are still tons of companies worldwide that are following the remote working and the hybrid working model. Even though it is a common belief that working from home limits the productivity of individuals and prevents them from being efficient, it is not true. In fact, it is the actual opposite. According to Apollo Technical, working remotely increases the productivity of individuals by 13%.
Moreover, working from home offers individuals numerous advantages. For starters, it offers them increased flexibility. Remotely-working employees have the option to manage tasks according to the schedule that works well for them. Besides this, working remotely also helps individuals to have a better work-life balance. However, since technology plays the most crucial role while working from home, remotely-working individuals should ensure that they have the right set of tools and arrangements that do not hinder their productivity or focus. This article will cover some useful and effective tech tips following which individuals can have a fruitful and productive work-from-home experience. Let us get started:
Top Tech Tips For A Fruitful Work From Home Experience
Opt for a Reliable Internet Connection
Working from home requires a stable Internet connection. However, many individuals do not pay much heed to the ISP or Internet Service Provider they opt for. It is important to ensure that the ISP, as well as the bandwidth you opt for, are reliable. Having a fluctuating Internet connection can cause numerous mishaps. For instance, if the connection is not stable, it could lead to the individual missing important virtual meetings and sessions. Besides, it could also prevent them from seamlessly using work-related apps which run online. Hence, if you are working from home, make sure that you choose the right ISP and a good connection plan.
Have the Right Apps and Programs at your Disposal
Almost every individual who is remotely working requires certain applications and programs, depending on their field of work. Here are some standard apps that every remotely-working employee requires:
- Document Management Applications – The majority of the employees need to deal with tons of documents every day. Hence, having the right set of document management applications is a must. There are tons of such applications available for both macOS and Windows users. However, Microsoft Office is the perfect range of applications that caters to all sorts of document-related needs of users. The powerful suite of applications includes MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc., each of which facilitates individuals to work seamlessly with different types of documents.
- Image Editing Tools – There are many professions wherein individuals need to work with lots of graphics, pictures, and vectors, i.e., photo editors may need to change the dimensions of photos or add layers to them. For instance, if you work a lot with JPEGs and are wondering how to resize JPEG on Mac or Windows, you can use a photo editor to get the job done easily. There are tons of photo editors available for both Windows and macOS users. For example, Mac users can use the native Photos or Preview app to resize photos, add filters, etc. Similarly, Windows users looking for a powerful photo editing software can use Adobe Photoshop, which packs many advanced features and functionalities.
- Collaborative Software – Collaborative tools, as the name suggests, facilitate multiple people to work remotely and collaborate on a document, spreadsheet, or any other supported file type. Some popular collaborative tools and platforms include Notion, Trello, Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.
- Antivirus Program – If your work requires you to be online throughout the day, it is essential that you install a reliable antivirus program on your Mac or Windows PC. Antivirus software prevents viruses, adware, spyware, or other types of malware from infecting your computer. Moreover, it also keeps your device’s local data safe and secure. Some popular antivirus applications include McAfee, AVG, Kaspersky, Norton, etc.
- Communication Applications – When working from home, it is imperative that individuals have applications for communicating with colleagues or co-workers. Some popular communications apps include Google Duo, Skype, Viber, Zoom, etc.
- VPN – A VPN or a Virtual Private Network is software that masks your IP address and online activities, and thus, provides an additional layer of security while using the Internet. If you wish to work securely from your home, having VPN software is a must.
- Use the Right Accessories– When working from home, peripherals play a crucial role. For instance, a good quality webcam ensures you look presentable in front of others during a video call. Similarly, having a good microphone ensures that others can listen to your voice clearly. Moreover, having a USB hub facilitates you to connect multiple output devices, such as printers, scanners, etc., with your work device. Having the right accessories enhances your work experience and ensures that you seem professional during work calls and meetings.
If you are a work-from-home employee, follow the tips mentioned above to have a productive and immersive work experience.